Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Tasty Tuesday

So, here's a new thing I'm trying here.  I will post new recipes on Tuesdays for everyone to share.  Maybe I'll try to figure out how to make a button and do a linky thing to share everyone's recipes! 

I'm working on finding more crockpot recipes for my family.  We need to crockpot three nights a week so that dinner is ready as soon as we walk in the door.

Last week, I tried these two recipes.

Chicken and Rice Casserole
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup milk
1/4 celery, finely chopped
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 cup uncooked instant rice
1/2 cup peas
1/2 cup carrots
1 lb uncooked chicken breast, skinned and boned and cut into cubes
1/2 lb cheddar or your favorite kind of cheese

Spray inside of slow cooker with cooking spray.  Combine all ingredients, mixing well but gently.  Cover, cook on low for 4-6 hours or until rice, vegetables, and chicken are tender.

*****I made changes before I even started.  No celery.  My hubby is not a fan and quite frankly I usually end up throwing it out of the fridge when it goes bad because I don't use it fast enough.  I sprinkled celery seed in it.  I used regular rice which didn't work out well.  It didn't have enough water to get the rice soft.  And I used a bag of mixed frozen peas and carrots.  Call me lazy, it was easier to cut open the bag and dump it in.  No cheese for us....it just sounded weird.  

Results:  Good, except for the rice.  The kids and hubby requested no rice from now on.  Okay, we're rice nerds.  We lived in Japan for three years, they need it to come out of a rice cooker and not mixed into their meal.  It had a really good flavor, almost like chicken pot pie, which is a HUGE favorite around here.

Slow Cooker Enchiladas
1 lb ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green peppers
16oz can of red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
10oz can of diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
1/3 cup water
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
6 (6in) flour tortillas

Cook beef, onions, and green peppers in skillet until beef is browned and vegetables are tender.  Drain.  Add next 8 ingredients and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat.  Cover and simmer 10 minutes.  Combine cheeses.  In slow cooker, layer 3/4 cup of beef mixture, one tortialla, and about 1/3 cup cheese.  Repeat layers.  Cover and cook on low 5-7 hours or until heated through.

******I did not use green peppers in mine.  Again, hubby doesn't care for them and they're too expensive.

Result:  Hubby and I really liked it.  Kids were okay....it had too many beans for them.  They're not big bean eaters. 

Both recipes were taken from Fix-it and Forget-it Cookbook.

I have lots of soups, stews, and chili recipes.  If you have any others you'd like to share, please email me at subbertfamily@yahoo.com.  With your permission, I will share them here for everyone to try out!

2 comments :

  1. Hey girl, I'm just now stopping by to see this after two days of non-stop busy. It's a great idea, me thinks. When I catch my breath I will try to send you a recipe or two. I'm gonna go pass out about now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just have a second, but wanted to tell you that you can make simple things like baked potatoes and roasted whole chickens in the crock pot.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, friend for visiting today!
Please leave me a message and a link to your blog!