Saturday, February 8, 2014

Survival Saturday-laundry soap

I've been working diligently on stocking up for three months.  Because I already have a stock for about three weeks, it wasn't too hard to see what I would need for three months and add onto that.  I decided to take advantage of the low prices on canned beans (I will also be adding dried beans) and stocked up that shelf.  I also needed just another two bags of powdered sugar and brown sugar, giving me one bag for each month.  Overly generous, but sometimes its nice to have on hand.  

I've been making my own laundry soap for a while and I LOVE it!!  So much cheaper and it works great.

1 box of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda (abt $3.50)
1 box Borax (also about $3.50)
1 Bar of Fels Naptha soap

*Note that you will need a bar of Fels Naptha with each batch.  I am still using the same boxes of Arm and Hammer and Borax and I'm on my fourth batch. 

Grate the bar of Fels Naptha and put it on the stove in a large pot.  Add one gallon of water.  Boil until the pieces are melted.  And 1 1/2 cup each of Borax and Arm and Hammer.  Dump the pot into a large rubbermaid container (I have a friend who uses two five gallon buckets and then just divides it in half).  Add nine gallons of water.  Mix and let sit overnight.  It will be a gel-like liquid.  I then divide it up into ten one gallon water jugs.  We don't have a sink in the basement and I'm not lugging two five gallon buckets up and down the stairs so I do it this way.

Use one cup for each load-equals 160 loads total.  

When I discussed this with my mom, she stated that she loved Fels Naptha because it was a great stain remover.  You just rub the bar on the clothes.  It makes you wonder why woman changed to all these expensive laundry detergents, softeners, and stain removers.  The cheap stuff works just as well!
For fabric softener, I use a few tablespoons of vinegar.  I made up two jars and add sandalwood essential oil to one and lavender essential oil to the other so it cuts through the vinegar smell.  My clothes are clean and bright and I love it!

Enjoy and have a wonderful weekend!

3 comments :

  1. I used to make my own laundry soap, but was told that I couldn't use it in my new front loader. I need to look into to that.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homemade laundry is fine to use in a front loader. I have one and it works just fine. The Fels Naptha is low sudsing.

      Delete
  2. Ive made my own by using the powdered mixture, but Ive never used the liquid.. I think I might start using the liquid mixture!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, friend for visiting today!
Please leave me a message and a link to your blog!