Tuesday, March 6, 2012

History

 I still haven't found a history program that I like that is affordable so I'm designing my own.  I'm too picky I guess.  I want to read awesome living books on history and study it chronologically.  So, we're going to use this as our spine:

Christine Miller has done a fabulous job of dividing history into manageable chunks.  Each section has lists of books divided by age and then by fiction, nonfiction, biography, etc.  At the end of the section is a very nice timeline.  I've decided to pick and choose events from the timeline and cover them with books and activities.  Some events, such as Lewis and Clark, we'll be using lapbooks from Hands of a Child.  Those topics are covered very nicely and a little more in depth.  Hands of a Child is also making notebooking pages for all of their lapbooks.  With over 400 in stock, it will be a while before they get them all done, so I may end designing some of my own for TL.  He definitely doesn't like lapbooking anymore. 


I'm also utilizing my cd from Heritage History on American History.  This awesome and inexpensive resource gives you copies of living books that are an invaluable resource to all homeschoolers.  You not only receive access to awesome books, you are able to keep your bookshelves clear for more books to purchase for other subjects 

The Heritage History makers have other wonderful collections, including Greece, Rome and a new release of European history that I am eagerly anticipating.  I can't wait to see what treasures are located on this new cd that I can incorporate into our homeschool.  The books are broken into a book list and color coded according to reading level, which makes it easier to find books for your child's reading level. 

The list of books on the Early America cd is quite helpful.  I probably don't even need to go to the library to get a book that I can use.  My son is enjoying all of the books that he is reading on this cd.  We absolutely value all the books here!

 
I'll be posting our current lessons and ideas for projects, activities, books, and resoures as we go along.  I will also be designing some of my own notebooking pages for the kids to follow along as we go through this.  Another thing I plan on doing is making a review sheet for things that I really want the kids to remember.  I haven't been making the kids review enough of their history. 

Have a wonderful week!!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you, friend for visiting today!
Please leave me a message and a link to your blog!