Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Osama Bin Laden

Thankfully, the good news has finally reached our ears.  He is gone and no longer can plan horrific attacks on our country.  Sadly, someone will step up to take his place.  We still must be vigilant.

I remember 9/11 clearly.  I remember being in class (I was attending the local community college for some fun interior design classes).  My teacher ran to make some copies and came back stating that one of the trade towers had been hit by a plane, but he thought they were joking or had the wrong info.  A little while later, the head of the dept came running in: both towers were hit and so was the Pentagon.  We lived in Virginia Beach, only a few hours from there.  There was a mad rush out the door and cell phones were going crazy.

I made it home in time to watch the towers fall.  I then ran to get my kids and get them home as soon as possible.  My husband called from the base, he wasn't essential personnel but wasn't sure when he'd be home. 

He made it home a few hours laters.  We watched, prayed, and cried.  Story after heartbreaking story came on the air.  The faces of people looking for loved ones.  We were on the edge of our seats waiting for them to find people alive.  After a few days, we knew they wouldn't...our hearts ached.

When President Bush came on to announce that we would punish the aggressor, I remember my husband saying, "just wait guys, I'll be on sea duty soon."  Soon after he transferred to sea duty and we arrived in Japan.  Four weeks after arriving they were underway to the war. 

I'm blessed that my husband returned.  Whole.  Many did not.  Families that suffered during 9/11 are not the only ones that day, our entire nation suffered.  Military families have faced separation, anxiety, and fear.  Many military members did not return.  Many more have returned missing parts of themselves whether it be parts of their bodies or minds.

The death of bin Laden is a blessing.  Hopefully, it will not become a curse.  As a Christian I struggle with celebrating the death of a human being.  As an American, I can only say that I hoped that they wrapped him in bacon and stuffed his pockets with raw meat before they dumped him over.

1 comment :

  1. My wife was attending a training class at Fort Lee when 9/11 happened. I was in Missouri with Noah. I remember sitting and staring at the TV. I was stunned. I cannot truly rejoice in the death of another human being, but I am grateful to the men who took him down. I feel relief now that the OBL chapter of American history is closed. I hope the terrorism chapter can be closed soon, too. And I am ever grateful to the service men and women, and their families, who work each day to protect this country and its citizens. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, friend for visiting today!
Please leave me a message and a link to your blog!