Saturday, September 19, 2009

Hello!

We've had an extremely busy last week. Our friends arrived from St. Louis for the chief pinning on Wednesday. We have enjoyed showing them around and visiting with them. Its been almost a year since we saw them in Japan and it will be longer before we see them again I'm afraid. I have lots of pictures to post, but need to do some fixing on the computer before I do that. I hope to be posting photos later tonight.

I have just found a wonderful website.

www.5dollardinners.com

I am desperately trying to limit our food budget, but with a family of seven, its just not possible. Two kiddos in diapers and a monster sized dog doesn't help the budget either. I currently spend about $200/week on groceries. I buy alot of fresh produce, which really adds up. I do not buy any frozen meals, boxed meals, or any processed meals. I prefer for us to eat fresh or frozen foods to learn to eat healthier. My current plan is to lower our budget at least $25/week, which will save us $100/month. Although, I have some food in the pantry, I do not have "a lot", nor do I have a huge stock in the freezer, which is why we are spending so much each week. I basically buy what we need.

One of the other things, I'm back to doing, is making fresh rolls/bread and homeade cookies, cakes, pies, and ice cream. I will be posting some recipes I'm been trying out and some old favorites. I have two to share right now.

The first is a fabulous roll recipe for your bread machine. My friend Kozison shared this recipe with me when we lived in Japan.

Maple Syrup Rolls

200cc Milk or Water at room temp
1 egg
4 TBSP Butter
4 TBSP Maple Syrup or pancake syrup
1/2 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast
4 TBSP sugar

Put into the bread machine in the order listed above. Set for dough setting. When done, punch down dough on a lightly floured surface. Cut dough into the number of rolls that you would like (I usually get 24). Wait 5 minutes and shape each piece of dough. Put them on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Spray a little water on each roll. Let rise in a warm place for 30-45 minutes.

Spray with water again before baking. Bake in a preheated oven (350) for 12-18 minutes-until lightly browned (this will depend on your roll size)




The next recipe is from www.allrecipes.com I don't usually mark where I found them. Muffins are a huge favorite breakfast item here and the kids usually eat them with hard boiled eggs or yogurt.


Apple Pumpkin Muffins

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup canned or cooked pumpkin
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups finely chopped peeled apples

In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, combine the eggs, pumpking and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples. Fill paper lined muffin cups two thirds full. (I usually get 24)

Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for five minutes before removing from pans to wire rack.

Side note: This recipe call for a streusel topping of cinnamon, sugar, and butter. I believe it has enough sugar already, so I don't do that. I usually sprinkle a little cinnamon on top.

Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you, friend for visiting today!
Please leave me a message and a link to your blog!