Princess came down with the flu bug today and Bug-a-bug is now complaining of a tummy ache. With school interrupted for almost three weeks we really need to get cracking this week. I just finished the writing menu for the girls for the week. You'll notice that the dinner choices are weird. I'm always making up weird things when they ask what's for dinner, so that's a little joke of ours. I decided not to focus on writing skills this week, just introduce them to the writing menu. I used our history, science and geography lessons for the appetizers and main dishes. I used some items I found in the book If You're Trying to Teach Kids to How to Write ....you've gotta have this book by Marjorie Frank. I got it years ago and it has great creative writing ideas.
Here's their menu:
Your Writing Menu
Appetizers-you may pick any two to do
• Cheese sticks-Name three kinds of rocks (5pts)
• Nachos-Name three kinds of sedimentary rocks (5pts)
• Buffalo Wings-Identify the word territory (5pts)
• Blooming Onion-Identify the Treaty of Paris (5pts)
Main Course-you may pick any one to write about (25pts)
• Fried Frog Lips-Pick an animal that lives in Australia and draw a picture of it. Write a paragraph about the animal and tell why you would or wouldn’t want it for a pet.
• Monkey Butt Pie-Pretend that you live in Australia in the Outback. Write a list of five Australian words that you would use. Then write a paragraph about living in the Outback.
Dessert-you may choose one to write about (10pts)
• Ice Cream Sundae-Write a shape poem
• Apple Pie-Make an invitation for a friend of yours to come on a trip to outer space
Hope that this goes well with the girls. As we get more into it, I plan on adding more choices for them.
Have a wonderful week!