Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Reading challenge

I love to read.  Don't most homeschoolers?  My favorite is historical fiction, I guess that's why history is my major.  I'm especially fascinated with colonial and pioneer historical fiction, although I do read others.

I've been doing a lot of reading on the Thomas Jefferson theory of reading classics.  I've made an effort over the last few years to read more classics.  TL reads some classics and award winners-time honored and tested literature that has survived generations.

I have decided that along with school this year, I need to start reading more classics and having TL read more of them.  So, I designed a new list to read.  I have also included the list of historical fiction that I need to read that's stacking up:

1776
Mayflower
The Intrique at Highbury (okay it doesn't classify as either, but I have to get my Elizabeth and Darcy fix)
The last of the Mohicans
The Lonesome Gods
Northanger Abbey
A Tale of Two Cities
The Whiskey Rebels
Rebel (by Bernard Cornwell)

That's all I have listed for this year.  I just can't do anymore with homeschooling and college.  Plus, I need to read all the books on TL's list because believe it or not, I have not read any of these books!

From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler
The Phantom Tollbooth
The Cricket in Times Square
A Wrinkle in Time
The Silver Chair
The Horse and his boy
The Magician's Nephew
The Last Battle

We will be reading aloud together The Hobbit, The Wind and the Willows and finishing up Pilgrim's Progress.

I will be reading aloud to the girls their classics.  I'll be reading fairy tales at bedtime and during the day, we'll be reading the Betsy books and Little House on the Prairie series. 

Lots and lots of reading, but I'm looking forward to it!  Take care everyone!!

Have a wonderful adn safe New Year!

2 comments :

  1. I love your list! I always enjoy reading the kids' books they have to read. I especially enjoyed the books my 5th grader is reading: Amos Fortune, Free Man; Witch of Blackbird Pond; and Johnny Tremain. Great books, all!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like your family is going to be traveling far and wide on many adventures without ever leaving the couch!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, friend for visiting today!
Please leave me a message and a link to your blog!