Saturday, June 22, 2013

And so it begins.....

Normally at this time of year, I have all of my curriculum already purchased for next year.  Not this time.  I'm just starting to order and hopefully some starts coming in soon so I can start lesson plans.  I will be placing smaller orders all through the summer because I have so much to get this year with five in homeschooling.  This year, I'm also placing some things on ebay and hoping that I can earn enough money to pay for the microscope that TL needs for biology.

We have been busy this week with swimming lessons down in our town's pool.  Well, okay they call it a pool, I call it a pond cause that's what it is.  They had to close it on Wednesday and Thursday to take care of the swimmer's itch.  Thankfully my kids hadn't been affected by it too much.

My father in law is currently in the hospital getting IVs full of antibiotics.  He's diabetic and has had a cut on his toe that hasn't healed in four months.  It had taken a nasty turn and they were talking about amputation but now it looks like the antibiotics are helping so that's wonderful news.

We have a friend who is also in the hospital.  His appendix burst and he is currently being pumped up with antibiotics and pain meds.  They hope to wait  until the antibiotics start to kill the infection before doing surgery.  Right now his intestines are all swollen, which is good because they are keeping the infection in one area, so they don't want to do surgery and risk hurting his intestines moving them out of the way.  His name is James, please pray for him.

The chickens are doing well.  They are half feathers and half fur right now.  Still cute, but starting to fly around and freaking the girls out some. 

The garden is doing well.  The push mower died, of course.  And we don't have a weed eater yet so we look a little ghetto right now.  I'm waiting for the farmer to pay us the money for renting out our pasture land to him so I can go and get a weed eater and then I can clean up this place.  It really needs it.

I started a new chore system with the kids.  TL has one household chore a day and cleaning up his room.  He is responsible for mowing (which takes about 5-7 hours a week with weed eating) and burning all of the trash.  He also helps the most with the chickens.  I have split up the house into three zones.  I have the smallest zone with the downstairs bath and my room....but I also have all of the garden to work on and weeding out these horrific flower beds and don't even get me started on the asparagus patch!  The oldest two girls have a small helper and get the larger zones....one is the kitchen, dining room, and upstairs bath and the other is the living room, schoolroom, and upstairs bath.  We worked together on the list and came up with chores that should only take them about 30 minutes to maybe an hour each day.  I realize I was trying to do to much, especially with everything that's outside that needs to be done and hope this new list helps out more with the zones instead of individual chores. 

I'm off to clean up the littles room and then hope to pull out my sewing machine today.  Its rainy on and off today and with the two inches of rain we got last night, its too wet to go out and do any gardening anyway.

Have a wonderful weekend!

1 comment :

  1. Praying for your friend. How fun is it to swim in a pond. I am not so sure about the swimmer's itch though. That sounds gross. I hope your new chore system works out.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, friend for visiting today!
Please leave me a message and a link to your blog!