Friday, November 20, 2009

the Middle Ages.....

the time of knights, maidens and chivalry; and probably one of my most favorite in history!! Who can resist Robin Hood and his merry men, King Richard, the Hundred Years War and the Black Plague-okay so its not all romantic!

We started Middle Ages this week and we are enjoying it very much. I am using Hands of a Child's lapbook for Trey. I've found some other sources that I'm listing here:

Medieval Towns, Trade, and Travel by Lynne Elliott
Kaleidoscope Kids Knights and Castles activity book by Avery Hart and Paul Mantell
Usborne Beginners Castles
Color and Learn Medieval Times Coloring book
Usborne the Great Castle Search
The Making of a Knight by Patrick O'Brien
Hands on Heritage Medieval Times Activity Book

I also found four dvd's at our library that are fantastic. They are made by Schlessinger Video. We watched a dvd on the serf, knight, noble and I just ordered one on the history of the middle ages. You can check out all titles by this company at . I am so excited to find these. Each video is only about 20-25 minutes long, it was very entertaining (even the six year old sat through it) and each dvd has questions and activities suggested with it.

We're planning many different activities with this unit: a medieval feast, making a castle, making a shield and helmet, headwear for the girls, and making a catapult. I'm looking forward to it and will keep you updated in pictures as we progress through.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you, friend for visiting today!
Please leave me a message and a link to your blog!